Sunday

That dude that directed Neds.. Peter... Mu-

Taking a break from blogging about my Glasgow Film Festival adventure (clicky here for all the previous posts about the festival, you know you want to.), I want to focus on some Glaswegian/Scottish actors in the industry.

And to kick things off let's start with Peter Mullan. "Random" fact: Peter Mullan was one of many guests at the Glasgow Film Festival in 2010. (I can always find a connection.)
As you saw from my post about Meryl Streep, I won't be rattling down birth dates and all that non-sense, and I'll focus more on the actors' career and work and ad some random stories of my own.

So let's take a look at Peter Mullan the actor, writer and director.

Peter Mullan wasn't born in Glasgow but he moved there with his family when he was quite young. He eventually went to the University of Glasgow and studied economic history and drama, and that's where his journey starts.

He was in several Scottish productions such as Braveheart ("Freeedoooom!" <-- I'm sorry, I had to.), Trainspotting, (although, I haven't had the chance to see it yet, a friend of mine showed me the infamous "toilet" scene and I have yet to muster the courage to actually watch it), which stars fellow Scottish actor Ewan McGregor, and Shallow Grave.
In 1988 he won the best actor award at the Cannes Film Festival for his role in Ken Loach's film My Name is Joe
Eduardo: "Sorry! My Prada is at the
cleaners along with my hoodie and my
 'f**k you' flip-flops, you pretentious
douchebag!"
Other movies he has been in include Boy A, staring Andrew Garfield who is enjoying a lot of attention right now for his awesome role in The Social Network, in which (at least in my opinion) he was a lot better than Jesse Eisenberg, and he's currently filming a Spiderman reboot directed by one of my favorite directors Marc Webb of (500) Days of Summer.
Mullan also has a part in the last two Harry Potter instalments. He played one of the Death Eaters, Yaxley, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I (How amazing was the movie, btw! I was so glad director David Yates finally stepped it up after heartbreakingly watching his two disasters that were HP5 & HP6.) and will apparently return again in Part II (15 more weeks!!!!).

If you're a Harry Potter fan you're definitely about to open a new tab to see this again, so for your comfort here it is:


Although Peter Mullan is a brilliant actor, he's wanted to direct since the age of 19. 
He has written and directed three critically acclaimed feature films to date. His first was the film Orphans, which won several awards at the Venice Film Festival in 1998.
His second feature film The Magdalene Sisters (2002) also won him a Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival, the film also got 2 BAFTA nominations.
His most recent project is the movie Neds, which was in cinemas just a month or so ago.
He has also written and directed several other short movies.

Here's a trailer of his latest film Neds:




No comments:

Post a Comment