Wednesday

Films that were screened at the Festival and -through no fault of my own- I was unable to see.

So after "reviewing" the many movies I've seen at the Film Festival this year I wanted to write a post about all the movies I really wanted to see but was too busy to didn't get the chance to, as the long title of the post reveals.


1.) New Low

It's supposed to be a cute RomCom and was screened at Sundance. (I actually bought tickets to watch it before watching a trailer for it, and a few hours before the screening I decided to see the trailer and was not sold so ended up going shopping instead. Whoops...) Moral of the story: always watch the trailer before buying a ticket.



2.) Apnea

This one I really wanted to see! And in no way was it my fault that I didn't in the end. I swear I had classes.
It's a greek movie (and I'm half greek, so this film was close to home) that's about a european swimming champion, who as he's swimming in the water remembers his relationship with his ex-girlfriend who has mysteriously disappeared. It's directed by Aris Bafaloukas, who was himself a swimmer and among the cast members I found one of my favorite greek actors.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find a trailer with english subtitles but here's a trailer non the less.


Clicky to check out the rest.





3.) Cell 211

This one is from Spain, and is a critically acclaimed movie. Won 8 Goyas including best film (which are the spanish version of the Oscars).



4.) Potiche

Catherine Deneuve and GĂ©rard Depardieu. Need I say more?



5.) Abel

Diego Luna's (of Diry Dancing: Havana Nights) directorial debut. About a young boy who blurs reality and fantasy and takes over the responsibilities of his father in his absence.



6.) Our Life

This one's from Italy, and was screened at Cannes in 2010. I couldn't find a trailer with english subs, but found this clip instead.


7.) Microphone

This one is from Egypt (and I'm half egyptian, so again I really wanted to see it). But due to the unrest in Egypt the movie got cancelled all together as the festival never got a copy of it. It's about Alexandria's underground music. Fortunately, there's no talking in the trailer, so enjoy.


A friend of mine back in Egypt (the very friend that kindly made the background for the blog) actually told me that she's seen it and said it was interesting but a bit weird.

8.) Oranges & Sunshine

This one is in cinemas right now actually (at the GFT), so I might get the chance to see it soon, still I wanted to share the trailer. Pretty intense.




And so ends my fab list! As is evident the Festival screens quite a variety of films from all over the world and it's always interesting to see what kind of movies other countries produce and to see their style etc. So, thank you Glasgow for that.
What is also evident is that if I had actually had the time to see all those movies I would have had to starve myself for 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment