Tuesday

The GFT -my new favourite place in Glasgow.

*angelic chorus music*
Keeping things spicy and fresh around here I will talk about my one favourite venue for movie-watching (yes, that's a word) here in Glasgow. (I only know of 2 places actually, can you tell I'm a total newbie? That is an awful word.)

The GFT a place that I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for the Glasgow Film Festival. Okay, I would have found out about it eventually... I was just exaggerating. In the end though I'm glad I did.

So back to reality, I love that place, they screen exactly my type of movies and that's all I need to know.
They screen everything from old classics to contemporary to european films. Which is always a breath of fresh air from your regular big budget films.

The festival had most of it's screenings and events there (there were also screenings at Cineworld and The School of Arts).
But that's not all the theatre has to offer.
It offers a variety of film courses through-out the year, that encourage discussion about films.
It hosts special screenings of older movies, for example the director's cut of the german Academy Award winning film The Tin Drum (1979) is being screened this week.
It hosts other festivals like the Italian Film Festival in Scotland, where italian films are screened. (Click here for more info)
Sometimes they provide captioned screenings for the hearing impaired.
The theatre also hosts a bunch of regular events every month or so, like the Film Discussion Group, where film lovers gather to discuss certain movies, whether they are blockbusters or arthouse (as you probably figured out from the name of the event).

And a whole lotta other stuff as well. If you're interested in finding out more (and you should be) visit their website here, which will give you more info, a lot more efficiently than me.
If you want regular updates (and great ones too) do what I do and follow them on twitter here.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment