Thursday

A poem, an interview and a trial.

Continuing my Glasgow Film Festival adventure, I went to see "Howl" at the GFT on the 19th of Feb.

And once again, when I was looking around at the website to figure out what movies I wanted to see this one definitely called out to me.
"Sorry James, but let's be realistic."
James Franco is in it. Not only is he one of my favorite actors today, but he's a damn good one, and he has an Academy Award nomination to prove it. Alright, so he didn't win, but let's face it being nominated opposite the guy who delivered the most gut wrenching performance of the year for his portrayal of a king who stutters, doesn't exactly give you a chance.

The first time I discovered James Francos talents was from his tiny cameo in the comedy Date Night which starred comical genius Tina Fey, and my love for him just kept on growing after that. That is because I totally ignored the disaster that was co-hosting the Oscars with Anne Hathaway. It was so puzzling to me how such a brilliant and funny actor was not able to bring some kind of excitement to the hosting gig of the year. But hey, it's the Oscars they were probably nervous. Let's all together just forgive the Academy for picking young hosts and cut the poor duo some slack.

Ginsberg
But to sum up, I was sold.

What's the film about you ask?
It's basically about Allen Ginsberg, a poet, who was a leading figure in the Beat Generation, and his poem titled "Howl", which is considered a classic poem of the beat generation. The poem can be summed up in that it is about the way Ginsberg viewed the world at that time, and how destructive the forces of capitalism and conformity where in the United States.

The whole story is told through three interrelated threads: an animation that portrays the surrealism of the poem, an interview with Ginsberg where he talks about how he came to be the artist that he was, and society's reaction to the poem, which is known as "the obscenity trial".

Before the film began, we, the viewers, were told that the movie was written and directed by two renowned documentary film makers, Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman and that actual court transcripts and interviews with Ginsberg were used to write the film's screenplay. All this really showed in the film and made it that much more interesting.

While the animation of the poem was pretty awesome, it did not in anyway help me understand the poem, which I'm ashamed to admit but I really know nothing about poems, so I won't pretend that I do.

Sad Don Draper (<-- click it you'll laugh!)
The cast of the film was brilliant. Everyone from the main roles to the little cameos such as Mary-Louise Parker, David Strathairn and Treat Williams.
But most importantly James Franco really delivers in this role and it really showcases his talents.
Apart from Jon Hamm, who was just showing us what Don Draper would have been like as a lawyer, and the answer is: the same.

All in all it's an incredibly well done movie and highly recommended by moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment